by Carrie Johnson
If you have driven through Horseshoe Bend within the last week, you might have noticed crews working on the airport runway. The Horseshoe Bend Municipal Airport Schatzman Field is currently closed for repairs. The work started on Wednesday, March 22 and the projected completion date is early April, weather permitting. The Airport will re-open upon completion. Airport Commission Chairman Mike Slavin stated, “This project is a part of the continuing effort of the Airport Commission to increase the value of the Airport to the City.”
At the end of the summer last year, the Airport Commission received notice that they would receive the Runway, Taxiway and Ramp Rehabilitation Project grant. The Rehabilitation Project consists of filling and sealing cracks, a seal coat of asphalt, and then repainting the runway lines. The Commission looked forward to beginning the work last Fall, but could not due to adverse weather conditions.
Garver USA, of North Little Rock, is the engineer on the project and Vance Brothers, of Kansas City, KS, is the prime contractor. They have been working long hours around the weather to ensure the finalization of the project is early April.
Where is this funding coming from?
The Airport applies for an Airport Improvement Program, AIP, grant. They have to make sure it meets the standards and criteria of the Federal Aviation Administration, FAA. Typically, if awarded the grant, the FAA will pay 90% of the cost of the project. The sponsor, Airport, is responsible for paying the remaining 10%.
The Runway, Taxiway and Ramp Rehabilitation Project costs approximately $243,000. The FAA covers 90%, $218,500, of the grant and instead of Horseshoe Bend Municipal Airport being liable for the other 10%, approximately $24,500, the Arkansas Department of Aeronautics has decided to foot the bill. Federal and State funding is generated through aviation fees and taxes.
Which means, there is little or no cost to the Airport or the City of Horseshoe Bend.


by Michelle Grabowski
It is time again to renew your annual business license. You may come into Horseshoe Bend City Hall to renew for 2017, or for your convenience, you may renew by mail.
If renewing by mail, return a copy that was given to you last year after making any necessary changes then return the form along with your check. If you would like to also receive a copy of your 2016 city business license, please enclose a self-addressed envelope along with your payment and current changes. We can also send you a copy through email if you provide your email to us.
The City of Horseshoe Bend requires an annual license fee to be paid by any person, firm or corporation that maintains a business location within the City of Horseshoe Bend, or engages in any business, profession or occupation of any kind and nature within the city. The business license fees are classified in City Ordinance #87-14 that is available for your inspection at City Hall.
Section II of Ordinance #87-14 states: “It is hereby declared a misdemeanor for any person, firm or corporation carrying on a business, profession or occupation within the City of Horseshoe Bend who fails and/or refused to comply with any of the provisions of this ordinance and upon conviction shall be fined in an amount of not less than one hundred ($100) dollars nor more than two hundred ($200) dollars for each separate violation.”
Licenses must be renewed by March 31 or penalties will be applied.
Also due for 2017 renewal are dog and cat licenses at $3 for spayed and neutered animals (must have proof) and $10 for un-spayed and un-neutered pets. Please bring proof of rabies vaccination also.
If you have any questions contact City Hall at 870-670-5113 Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.

expired.
It is time again to renew Annual Business Licenses. Come into City Hall to renew for 2016, or for your convenience, you may renew by mail.
If renewing by mail, return a copy that was given to you last year after making any necessary changes then return the form along with your check.
If you would like to also receive a copy of your 2016 city business license, please enclose a self-addressed envelope along with payment and current changes.
The City of Horseshoe Bend requires an annual license fee to be paid by any person, firm or corporation that maintains a business location within the City of Horseshoe Bend, or engages in any business, profession or occupation of any kind and nature within the city. The business license fees are classified in City Ordinance #87-14 that is available for your inspection at City Hall.
Section II of Ordinance #87-14 states: “It is hereby declared a misdemeanor for any person, firm or corporation carrying on a business, profession or occupation within the City of Horseshoe Bend who fails and/or refused to comply with any of the provisions of this Ordinance and upon conviction shall be fined in an amount of not less than One Hundred ($100.00) dollars nor more than Two Hundred ($200.00) dollars for each separate violation.”
Also due for 2016 renewal are dog and cat licenses at $3 for spayed and neutered animals (must have proof) and $10 for pets that are not spayed or neutered. Please bring proof of rabies vaccination also.

theft

STOLEN SIGNS: Several street signs, two directional signs and stop signs were stolen along Pine Ridge Road in Horseshoe Bend last week. The city has offered a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of person(s) involved in the theft. Pictured is the intersection of Pine Ridge Road and Tri Lakes Drive, minus the street signs. See full story in the February 11 edition of Pacesetting Times. Photo/K.Sherrell